By: Rob Mulder
In many ways this was one of the most interesting domestic airline company’s in Europe. Its history spans over eight years and is marked by a constant battle for its existence and against its main opponent Deutsche Luft Hansa AG – DLH. The Aviation Law Gesetz über die Reichsverwaltung of December 15, 1933 and later the Verordnung über den Aufbau der Reichsluftfahrtsverwaltung of April 18, 1934 finally led to the end of the strong expansion of this popular airline company operating in south- and mid-Germany. The company’s history can be divided into two periods:
1. The Nordbayerische Verkehrsflug GmbH – NOBA between 1926 and 1931; and
2. The Deutsche Verkehrsflug GmbH – DEVAG between 1931 and 1934.
In this article we will describe the history of the Nordbayerische Verkehrsflug GmbH. Later we will publish an article on the DEVAG.
1926: The year of the foundation of NOBA
Characteristic of the company was the connection with the aircraft manufacturer Bayerische Flugzeugwerk AG (later Messerschmitt-Flugzeugbau GmbH). Products of this aircraft factory dominated the inventory of the company’s fleet. It must be said right away that the aircraft factory had no influence in the NOBA/DEVAG policy. The products of this BFW and Messerschmitt were however built in Bayern (Bavaria) and thus it was natural to purchase these. The airline company only served German cities and grew to become the second largest airline company in Germany after the Deutsche Luft Hansa AG – DLH.
The NOBA was born out of a small flying club called Sportflug GmbH für Mittelfranken und Oberpfalz, founded in 1924 by Theo Croneiß, who had gained fame during the Great War as a German Fighter Ace. He was appointed in Bayern to the post of General Manager of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft zur Forderung von Flugsport und Flugtechniek e.V. (Working Committee for the Promotion of General Aviation and Air Tectonics) and one of his first deeds was the foundation of the called Sportflug GmbH, where young pilots could be trained and military pilots re-educated. During the first two courses twenty-two new trainees were schooled, together with sixty-three military pilots. The school had an extensive flight programme, leading to up to 185 flights per day! It grew to become to second largest training school in Germany.
In 1925 the economic and financial crises led to a stop in the subsidy to the school and when the Sportflug GmbH saw the problems approaching, Theo Croneiß foresight this and decided to start a project which was to give the Sportflug GmbH a financial income independent from the State: starting up a air taxi service and start building aircraft. He was thinking of dividing the company into four departments: one to manufacture and repair engines, one for the construction of aircraft, one for the training of pilots and one for the flying of taxi-, scheduled- and charter services. The latter organisation was to be called Nordbayerische Verkehrsflug GmbH – NOBA. This short-term work was to be taken over from the major companies like Deutscher Aero Lloyd AG and Junkers Luftverkehr AG. Theo Croneiß could not manage to start up all the departments he planned due to the financial situation in 1926. In addition the revenues could still not cover the costs, so a subsidy had to be given from the State of Bayern. And the State did not have any money. Theo Croneiß found a solution: a lot of cities wanted an air service, owned an airfield or small airport and could support with some money. If they wanted an air service, they could subsidise the company and the air service to their city.
The Sportflug GmbH applied for a general concession, which was granted by the Bavarian State. Due to lack of capital, the old idea of different departments was abandoned and the foundation of an airline company started up. The construction of aircraft could however start up as well. Theo Croneiß had financially supported Willy Messerschmitt with the construction of the Messerschmitt M.17 and now Theo Croneiß gave Messerschmitt the assignment to develop a civil transport aircraft for his airline company. This became the Messerschmitt M.18-series. The first aircraft cost RM.25,000, which was 50% of the company’s stock-capital. The idea was that the participating cities would take over the remaining 49% Willy Messerschmitt had put into the company, thus paying back the aircraft over time. RM.24,000 had already been paid back just before the foundation of the NOBA.
The foundation of the Deutsche Luft Hansa AG made clear that this really was an all-German airline company. The company’s management thought big and had no time or money to spend on short-haul air services between some minor cities. On January 29, 1926 more than fifty interested parties met to discuss the financial basis for the Nordbayerische Verkehrsflug GmbH. The NOBA was to work first of all in the Bavarian area. It started a close co-operation with both the Luftverkehr Thüringen AG (LUTAG) from Weimar and the Süddeutsche Luft Hansa AG from München. After it was clear that the Messerschmitt M.18 could not be delivered until May 1926, the LUTAG offered two Junkers F 13s for lease to be used on the Nürnberg/Fürth – Bamberg – Coburg – Weimar – Halle air service. The cost per kilometre was RM.1.00 for the Junkers F 13 against RM.0.60 for the Messerschmitt M.18. In order not to start with losses, the NOBA decided to wait with the opening of the air service until the Messerschmitt M.18 had been delivered.
On March 25, 1926 the final preparations and meetings prior to the foundation of the company were finalised and the Nordbayerische Verkehrsflug Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung – NOBA with a stock-capital of RM.50,000 was founded. The shareholders were:
Sportflug GmbH für Mittelfranken und Oberpfalz RM. 25,000
Messerschmitt Flugzeugbau GmbH RM. 25,000
Messerschmitt Flugzeugbau GmbH delivered instead of capital one Messerschmitt M.18, which value was set at RM.24,000. Different cities in Bavaria took over the shares bit by bit. The State of Bayern and Thüringen decided to support the NOBA with a subsidy of RM.20,000, which was later increased to RM.35,000. In its regulations the company had written how its position was towards Deutsche Luft Hansa AG: The NOBA did not wanted to be a competitor, but much more an extension of Deutsche Luft Hansa AG. It wanted to extend the routes were Deutsche Luft Hansa AG stopped flying.
The network of the NOBA in 1926 comprised of one air service flown in a circle: Nürnberg/Fürth – Bamberg – Coburg – Weimar – Halle – Leipzig – Hof – Bayreuth – Nürnberg/Fürth. By the introduction of the DLH-network, the city of Nürnberg/Fürth had been totally forgotten. In this the NOBA saw its thesis proven that DLH was not yet interested in flying on Nürnberg. The Bavarian press criticised this heavily and the Ministry of Trade in the State of Bavaria immediately offered RM.50,000 for the purchase of a second Messerschmitt M.18. The Reichsluftfahrtministerium (the German Air Ministry) denied the NOBA a subsidy of RM.100,000, but in stead offered two Udet U.8 aircraft from the fleet of DVS GmbH at the NOBAs disposal: the D 670 and the D 839 were delivered, followed by the first Messerschmitt M.18a: the D 947. The latter was delivered on July 25, 1926 and christened Habicht by Ms. Wild, the daughter of the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the NOBA. Later this aircraft changed its name in Fürth. All aircraft received the name of a city the company served, although not all names are known, the fleet list is near complete.
In many ways DLH accepted NOBAs policy and started in April 1926 discussions regarding a closer co-operation and a better tuning of their networks. But as soon as the DLH heard that NOBA guaranteed RM.0.60 per flown kilometre against DLHs RM.2.00 (as a minimum!) the discussions stopped up. In order to get the cities interested to work together with DLH rather than with NOBA, the management of the all-German airline company decided to reduce its magic 2-Mark-limit to RM.1.50. In addition DLH started a press campaign against the NOBA, on which NOBA replied that DLH always stated that unreliable short-haul-services were of no interest and that the RM.2.00 had been set to frighten off smaller cities. By reducing its guarantee to RM.1.50 was thus against the policy of the DLH. The tow continued for a while, right up to the opening of NOBAs network on July 26, 1926. During a meeting in June 1926 in Berlin the tune changed and DLH now wanted to co-operate with NOBA and share experience and expertise. DLH had changed its opinion completely.
On June 18 the test flights with the new Messerschmitt M.18a at the DVL – Deutsche Versuchsanstalt were completed and a Certificate of Airworthiness could be awarded. The M.18a was a light metal aircraft with a 75/80 hp Siemens & Halske Sh.11 air-cooled engine. The prototype, the M.18, was an all-wooden construction, but Theo Croneiß suggested Willy Messerschmitt to construct the production aircraft in metal. At the delivery of the first Messerschmitt M.18a (D 947 Habicht), the NOBA immediately ordered a second. The first Udet U.8 (D 670) was delivered to NOBA on July 19, followed by the second one on July 25.
On July 26 the NOBA assigned all three aircraft to the first circular flight: Nürnberg/Fürth – Bamburg – Coburg/Rudolstadt-Saalfeld – Weimar – Halle/Leipzig – Hof – Bayreuth – Nürnberg/Fürth. The pilot on the Udet U.8 (D 670) was of Theo Croneiß, with as passengers the Secretary of the Bavarian Finance Department with his wife and Mrs Croneiß. This aircraft already crashed at Coburg and had to be taken out of service. Its engine was subsequently used as spare engine for the Messerschmitt M.18a. The second participating Udet U.8 continued the service that day to Weimar and was based at this airport throughout the season. Mr Croneiß continued by Messerschmitt M.18a and upon its return in Nürnberg/Fürth the aircraft was filled up with flowers. During the season the city of Gera and Plauen were served on demand, but per October 1 Gera was flown to on a regular base. On October 31, 1926 the service was closed down. By then 211 passengers were transported between the different cities. In addition, 270 passengers had made their probably first flight on one of the many joy ride, taxi- and advertising flights. The daily number of kilometres flown was 1.050 and totally NOBA flew in 1926 47,398 km. NOBA carried in luggage and freight 2,066 kgs. The company employed 15 persons and the financial year ended with a small profit of RM.809.
The second year: 1927
Before the start of the summer time 1927 (on May 2, 1927) the NOBA flew for the first time an air taxi service between Nürnberg/Fürth and Leipzig during the famous Leipziger Messe (Trade Fair in Germany) in March 1927. In twelve days no less than 154 passengers were carried, which means an average of 12-13 passengers per day! The service was flown under NOBAs own risk and no subsidy was given by any city. It was flown by the newly (February 1927) acquired Junkers F 13 (D 168), which was purchased, because the newly ordered Messerschmitt M.18 could not be delivered in time. The buying of the Junkers F 13 was against the principals of NOBA, as it cost the company more than the calculated RM.0.60 per flown kilometre. But NOBA had now choice. The remaining Udet-aircraft was considered to be too unsafe. The Junkers F 13 could be paid by issuing ten new shares (total RM.10,000). It was against the same conditions as the purchase of the Messerschmitt M.18a. The shares would be bought back from Junkers Flugzeugwerk AG share for share.
The 1927-season was to include the following four air services:
Air service A: Nürnberg/Fürth – Bayreuth – Hof – Plauen – Zwickau – Leipzig;
Air service B: Nürnberg/Fürth – Bamberg – Coburg – Plauen – Rudolstadt/Saalfeld – Weimar;
Air service C: Nürnberg/Fürth – Regensburg – München; and
Air service D: Rudolstadt/Saalfeld – Weimar – Erfurt – Meiningen – Schweinfurt (possible Bad Kissingen) – Nürnberg/Fürth.
Air Service C could not be flown, as DLH flew the service. For the Air Services A and B the cities of Bayreuth, Hof, Plauen, Zwickau, Coburg, Weimar, as well as Saale-Schwarzatal AG had confirmed financial support. Nürnberg/Fürth, Bamberg and Leipzig as well as the State of Bavaria would join just before the start of the season. The financial picture was succoured by the start.
New aircraft in 1927 included two Messerschmitt M.18: the M.18b, D-1133 and the D-1177. They were delivered in April 1927 and flew on the Air Service B and D, while the Junkers F 13 D-168 flew on the Air Service A. The reason why the Air Services of NOBA did not had a regular number, was because they were not taken up in the official German Reichskursbuch – the official timetable of German aviation. The flight schedule was still published as an appendix.
The NOBA leased from the LUTAG a Messerschmitt M.18a, the D-1118 Thüringen (c/n 28), which was delivered prior to the start of the season. In all, NOBA could fly all services with a total of five aircraft. That meant that two could be kept in reserve to secure the three services. One was respectively stationed at Nürnberg/Fürth and one at Plauen.
A small change was carried through: the rate of the airfare was now similar to the fare of a second-class train ticket. After the approval of the rates and the flight schedule (with the exception of Air Service C) by the RVM, the NOBA was able to start it 1927-season. On May 2, 1927 the Air Service A and D were opened, followed on May 16 by Air Service B.
But DLH still did not recognise NOBA quite: In Erfurt, where DLH was running the airport, the DLH wanted RM.1,000 per month for the handling of aircraft. This was unreasonably much money. On the opposite through partner Süddeutsche Luft Hansa AG guaranteed a price of RM.1.35 per flown kilometre to Regensburg. The NOBA advised the city of Regensburg to accept this offer as it would get a direct connection on the greater-German network. The NOBA could always take over, if discussions between DLH and the City Council failed.
In December 1927, NOBA lost its first Messerschmitt M.18b, the D-1177, on an accident at Schwarza (near Rudolstadt), where the pilot Hellmuth Schnabel and two female passengers were killed. The second flying-season ended with positive results. 4,853 passengers were carried, together with 34,852 kgs luggage and freight and 2,433 kgs airmail. They aircraft flew 299,753 km, while regularity reached 89.3% (419 of the scheduled 468 regular flights were carried out).
The year 1928
In the spring of 1928 the company’s order for seven Messerschmitt M.18b were delivered: Two arrived in February, one in March, April, May and June with the last one in August. For the summer season seven services were planned as well, but despite this expansion the year 1928 was not too positive for NOBA.
It all started in the spring of 1928, when NOBA was granted permission to fly during the Leipziger Fair. Its offer was 50% lower than DLHs and the following air services were offered to the public: Berlin – Liepzig – Plauen (NOBA wanted to fly this as part of its regular schedule), Chemitz – Leipzig and Dresden – Leipzig. Also NOBAs Air Service A: Nürnberg/Fürth – Liepzig was opened. Sales went well and extra material had to be chartered to be able to cover the high demand. The frequency on the services was increased and a Junkers F 13 from Junkers Flugzeugwerk AG (Jfa) was leased as well. During the eight days the fair lasted, 414 passengers were carried. The organisation committee of the Leipziger Fair paid only RM.15, against DLHs RM.130! Germany’s national carrier demanded RM.1.50 per flown kilometre, against NOBAs RM.0.69. These facts had become public and caused irritation at the RLM (RVM) and with DLH. The result was that during the fair passengers at Berlin/Tempelhof Airport were denied access to the platform and the aircraft of NOBA. Furthermore, pressure was put on the travel agencies selling tickets to boycott the NOBA. It was clear that a huge airline company as Deutsche Luft Hansa AG could not compete on short-haul air routes and this was not easy to accept. Before the merger of Junkers Luftverkehr AG and Deutscher Aero Lloyd AG was a fact, the RVM wanted to include a passage in the agreement, that regional airline companies could fly the short-haul air services. This was after the foundation of the NOBA not necessary anymore, and even impossible, as these regional airline companies did not possess any aircraft.
To try to get the parties closer to each other, Dipl-Ing. Willy Messerschmitt organised on 7, 1928 a meeting between the NOBA and the Deutsche Luft Hansa AG, followed by another meeting at the RVM on February 21. The schedule of the NOBA was approved, with the exception of the air service Plauen – Leipzig – Berlin. RVM did not believe there was a market for this service. The RVM suggested setting up a charter service and only flying on demand. What the Ministry could not know, was that this air route turned to be a huge success and that it started to look like a regular air service. On August 18 the RVM threatened to withdraw the concession of the NOBA if the company did not change the Plauen – Leipzig – Berlin service and only flew on an irregular basis. In addition, NOBA was not allowed to fly during the autumn addition of the Leipziger Fair. This led to a further difficult relation between the three involved parties. This time Deutsche Luft Hansa AG flew for RM.0.70 per flown kilometre and the loss was covered by the RVM. On September 6 the parties held discussions and talks about the situation at the RVM and finally agreed upon that Deutsche Luft Hansa AG did not had a monopoly on the domestic air services and therefore the RVM could not stop the NOBA flying certain services. But a concession for the Plauen -Leipzig – Berlin air route was not given, but in stead the company received a concession for the lucrative air services Dresden – Nürnberg/Fürth and Regensburg – Nürnberg/Fürth. In 1928 the Bavarian airline company flew the following air services:
Air Service A: Nürnberg/Fürth – Bayreuth – Hof – Plauen – Zwickau – Leipzig;
Air Service B: Nürnberg/Fürth – Bamberg – Coburg – Plauen – Rudolstadt – Leipzig – Berlin;
Air Service C: Plauen -Gera – Erfurt;
Air Service D: Nürnberg/Fürth – Schweinfurt/Bad Kissingen – Meiningen – Erfurt – Weimar;
Air Service E: Erfurt – Rudolstadt;
Air Service F: Erfurt – Weimar – Leipzig – Dresden; and
Air Service G: Plauen – Leipzig – Halle.
All services were closed down on 3 November 3, 1928. The total length of this network was 3,012 km and 472,947 km was flown on it. Regularity increased to 92% and 7,066 passengers, 41,301 kgs freight and luggage and 4,891 kgs of airmail was carried. During the Leipziger Fair, the NOBA flew another 12,595 kgs and carried 414 passengers and 760.5 kgs cargo and luggage and another 26.36 kgs airmail. During joy ride and advertising flights 1,276 passengers and 4,086 kgs cargo was transported. The net result for 1928 increased from RM.5,653.10 in 1927 to RM.10,625.
A last major change was accomplished in 1928 as well: The Sportflug GmbH separated itself from the NOBA and because of the close co-operation with the Mitteldeutsche Luftverkehrs AG, Werner Wagener (Managing Director of MILAG) was elected into the Board of Directors of the NOBA.
The year 1929
A number of events marked the year 1929:
1. The change from a GmbH into an A.G.;
2. A further expansion of the network;
3. Increase of the stock-capital;
4. Take-over of Deutsche Luft Hansa AG’s air service Dortmund – Borkum in co-operation with WELU; and
5. Further extension of the fleet.
The change from a Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung into an Aktiengesellschaft was decided during the General Meeting of the shareholders on February 14, 1929. Another decision was the increase in the stock-capital to RM.500,000. This change was needed in order to be able to finance the purchase of new aircraft. The financing of the new company was to be concluded in May, but it would take until July 25 before the job was done. The new Aktiengesellschafts new share holders were the State of Bayern, Sachsen and Thüringen, 13 cities, the Sportflug GmbH, the Saale-Schwarzatal AG and the Messerschmitt Flugzeugbau GmbH. A solid basis for the company. It was also agreed upon to change the name of the company, as it not only flew in Northern Bavaria, but all over Germany. This change was not realised until 1931.
Three aircraft could be delivered in 1929: Two Messerschmitt M.18b (D-1567 Wiesbaden-Mainz and D-1643), which were delivered in February and May. This was followed by a Focke-Wulf A.20, D-1159 Schwaben in the beginning of May. The latter was used on the newly opened Nürnberg/Fürth – Augsburg service, which was operated in co-operation with the Schwäbisch-bayerische Fluggesellschaft mbH. The aircraft was leased to this airline company until May 1930.
New air services ran from Plauen to Leipzig/Mockau and Berlin (Air Service No 311, which NOBA up to 1929 only could operate on demand). New was also Air Service No 310: Dresden – Guben – Frankfurt a.d. Oder – Cottbus – Stettin, right across the eastern parts of Germany. In May 1929 NOBA and Luftverkehrs AG Westfalen – WELU signed an agreement with regard to the operation of the Air Service No 382 Dortmund – Borkum, earlier flown by Deutsche Luft Hansa AG, but which had lost interest. The NOBA put a Messerschmitt M.18b at the company’s disposal and operated between June 15 and September 30 the air service to the North Sea-island of Borkum as well joyride flights in Dortmund.
The relation towards Deutsche Luft Hansa AG remained a story of its own. The previous year saw a clear improvement in this relationship, despite the fact that Germany’s national carrier had lost ground. Among other cities Plauen had changed to NOBA and supported this company financially, because the reason that the Bavarian airline company was cheaper in operating costs. DLH and NOBA finally signed a so-called Treaty of Understanding (Intressengemeinschaftsvertrag). To avoid further friction, both companies received a concession to fly from Berlin to Leipzig during the Leipziger Fair. The rate was RM.20 per person, which was the same for both companies, although NOBA had to increase its price (could have sold it for RM.18). Also the ground handling in Leipzig, Erfurt, Stettin, Berlin and Halle/Leipzig had improved and everything ran smoothly. NOBA flew 16,116 km and carried 353 passengers, in addition to 1,982 kgs cargo and 31.310 kgs mail.
The final results for 1929 were encouraging: 10,403 passengers, 64.854 kgs freight and luggage and 1.774.31 kgs airmail. The length of the network was 3,828 km and counted 10 air services. The company’s fourteen aircraft flew 671,780 km and achieved a regularity of 94.8%. The NOBA offered work to 49 men and women.
The year 1930: Participation of Deutsche Luft Hansa AG?
For 1930 a participation of Deutsche Luft Hansa AG in the NOBA was scheduled, as 26% of the new stock-capital of RM.1,000,000 was to be supplied in the form of twelve aircraft of the type Fokker F.II and Junkers F 13. This offer was rejected as the operational costs exceeded those handled by the NOBA: RM.1.20 against the RM.0.80 per flown kilometre. Furthermore, the Fokker- and Junkers-aircraft were obsolete and did not had much value. The second condition DLH acquired, was that NOBA would not fly cargo and airmail. The Board of Directors judged it not correct to accept the proposal and rather signed the earlier mentioned Intressegemeinschaftsvertrag, signed in May 1930, where both parties agreed that the NOBA could fly the short-haul domestic air services, while DLH would concentrate on the mid- and long haul air services. Furthermore, ‘’… New domestic air service were to be announced to each other for approval’’. The last important point was ‘’…that all fares would be kept as equal as possible’’. The agreement had a validity of two years (up to December 31, 1932), with an automatic extension of another two years, unless one of the parties wanted to make any changes.
In NOBAs history a further rapid extension and modernisation of the fleet was at hand. From the Deutsche Versuchsanstalt für Luftfahrt e.V.-DVL a Messerschmitt M.18b (registration D-1581) was chartered from March 1930. In February the first Messerschmitt M.24a, D-1767 Nürnberg was delivered, followed by yet another M.18d, D-1847 Düsseldorf and D-1848 in May. The next month D-1860, D-1861 Krefeld and D-1872 were handed over, with finally in July the D-1812. Focke Wulf Flugzeugbau GmbH delivered the two ordered Focke Wulf A.32 Bussards D-1910 and D-1942 in respectively July and August. The Schwabische Fluggesellschaft mbH returned the chartered Focke Wulf A.20 in May.
NOBA flew between May 1 and August 30, 1930 the following air services:
301: Nürnberg/Fürth – Bayreuth – Hof – Plauen – Zwickau – Leipzig/Mockau (only on demand). One return flight daily.
303: Plauen – Rudolstadt/Saalfeld/Bad Blankenburg – Erfurt – Weimar (only on demand). One return flight daily.
304: Rudolstadt/Saalfeld/Bad Blankenburg – Schweinfurt – Nürnberg/ Fürth. One return flight daily.
305: Dresden – Leipzig/Mockau – Rudolstadt/Saalfeld/Bad Blankenburg. One return flight daily.
307: Dresden – Chemitz – Plauen – Nürnberg/Fürth One return flight daily).
311: Plauen – Gera – Leipzig/Mockau – Dessau – Berlin with on demand and extra-ordinary stop at Halle/Leipzig. One return flight daily.
312: Zwickau – Dresden – Cottbus – Guben – Frankfurt a.d. Oder – Stettin with the stretch Zwickau-Dresden from June 1 – August 30 only. One return flight daily.
347: München – Regensburg – Plauen. One return flight daily.
350: Baden/Baden – Karlsruhe – Mannheim/Heidelberg/Ludwigshafen –
Wiesbaden/Mainz – Köln – Düsseldorf. One return flight daily.
351: Freiburg – Villingen – Konstanz (1 June-30 August). One return flight daily.
355: Nürnberg/Fürth – Stuttgart – Baden/Baden. One return flight daily.
382: Dortmund – Borkum (July 19 – August 30). One return flight daily.
390: Krefeld – Köln. Two return flights daily.
391: Düsseldorf – Krefeld. Two return flights daily. During the winter only one.
392: Krefeld-Essen/Mülheim. Two return flights daily. During the winter only one.
393: Düsseldorf – Köln. One return flight daily.
394: Krefeld – Aachen. Two return flights daily.
The company’s results over the year 1930 declined despite the expansion to a 5,668 km huge network. The NOBA had to register a loss of RM.25,318. On this network 13,680 passengers were transported, together with 119,039 kgs freight and luggage and 15,810 kgs airmail. Regularity reached 93.8%. Traffic during the fairs went dramatically down and only four (against eight in 1929) were flown Here only 162 passengers (50% of 1929-result), 679 kgs freight and 35.425 kgs airmail were transported. Thus a total of 20.311 passengers, 130,761 kgs freight and luggage and 15,845 kgs airmail had been carried. The aircraft flew 966,288 km. During the year 1930 the engines of the Messerschmitt M.18 were replaced by the more powerful 150 hp Walter Mars engine.
As it became clear that the Deutsche Luft Hansa AG would not participate in the NOBA, the shareholders decided to change the name of the company and increase the stock-capital. Of unknown reasons the registration of the company as a Aktiengesellschaft (A.G.) – a limited company – was delayed until October 13, 1930. This also meant that the change of the company’s name was postponed until December 23, 1930. From January 1, 1931 the new company name was: Deutsche Verkehrsflug Aktien Gesellschaft – DEVAG.
For the fleet details please go to: https://www.europeanairlines.no/doc/NOBA_071203.htm